Sunday 13 December 2009

PJ Harvey: cracks in the canvas look like roads that never end...

Doesn’t that sound funny to you, Polly? That you’ve been going for 20 years. I mean, I bought Dry when it came out, and it just doesn’t feel like it’s been that long.

It doesn’t feel to me, either. It’s actually really odd; it’s been more than 20 years. My first record came out in 1990, so that does feel really odd. I feel about 18, like I haven’t even begun yet. That’s something we all feel. I remember talking to my grandmother on her deathbed about that. She was saying, “I still feel 18.” She was so sweet; she had a crush on the doctor who kept coming through to see her and he was about 30. And that’s how we got talking about it. I can see what she means. In some ways I feel like a kid, like I’ve barely started. Presumably, that’s how one keeps carrying on. Next thing people will be calling me a “legend” and I’ll feel like I’m in the grave already! WATCH!


No comments:

Post a Comment