Tuesday 22 June 2010

LCD Soundsystem: tonight...

"I'm not afraid to show my hand. I'm old. I'm not going to pretend that rock was invented by me or us. I think if you're working with a persona-type rock vibe where you're like, "I'm feeling it! This is who I am! We share feelings together!" then it has to have all this realness to it. And so what you can't show is that you might have actually ripped that bassline from a Joy Division song, because then what are you real about? You know, what's going on here? You're not supposed to be self-conscious. You're supposed to be lost in the rock zeitgest. But if that's not what you're interested in, then it's kind of liberating. You don't really have to worry about it. It's not that we're consciously trying to strike a balance, it's just that we're not worried about the other stuff, so you just get to make what you like." James Murphy, LCD Soundsystem

No comments:

Post a Comment